Wednesday’s Game of the week pays homage to the wondrous beauty that is the marshmallow. Okay, so that may be a bit over the top, but let me introduce to you one of our favorite marshmallow games: Marshmallow Madness!
PREP TIME– 2 Minutes
ITEMS NEEDED– 2 Bags of Small Marshmallows, 4 Plastic Cups or Small Bins, Masking Tape
GAME TIME– 3-5 Minutes
PARTICIPANTS– 4 Teams of at least 2 (you can have more or larger teams)
Today’s game is a spin off of something that almost all of us have done. You will need to start by taping off two lines that are about 6-10ft apart. Make sure participants stand behind the lines.
At this point you will need to establish who will be the catcher and who will be the thrower(s). When you have done this, hand a cup or bin to all the catchers. They will then stand behind the line while trying to catch marshmallows from the throwers in their mouth.
As a safety precaution, I recommend having the catchers spit all the successfully caught marshmallows into a cup. This prevents choking hazards.
When time is up, tally the marshmallows and declare a winning team.
1. Have students throw only one marshmallow at a time so the game doesn’t end in 30 seconds.
2. You can also use M&M’s & Skittles for this game, though you might hurt the marshmallow’s feelings!
3. Depending on the time of year, you can award Peeps or other marshmallow candies as prizes.
4. Mix in regular size marshmallows or increase the distance for bonus points.
5. Have leaders picking up the uncaught marshmallows during and immediately after the game. This will cut down on your mess. You can also lay a thin plastic tarp down as well.
6. As always, make sure that people can see the action. If everyone is not playing the game, don’t have anyone with their back to the audience, line them up sideways so that everyone can see.
For more great games, subscribe to our blog and follow us on Twitter @stumingames.