Today’s game is Mix It Up! I recently came across a unique site that allows you to type in a word and break it down into other words or phrases. Check out http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/ to help out with this game.
PREP TIME– 10-15 Minutes
ITEMS NEEDED– Letters cut of Cardstock
GAME TIME– 5-10 Minutes
PARTICIPANTS– 2-4 Teams of 6 & 1 Leader for Each Team
Once you’ve chosen your teams, give them a set of letters. Their goal is to form as many words (a minimum of 3 letters long) as possible by grabbing the letters and arranging themselves to create the words. They can not use proper nouns or words from the original (i.e. united can not be used if the root word was United States). Once the word is created, the leader must write it down and then the team may move onto the next word.
Participants can only hold one letter each for words that are six letters or less. They may hold up to two letters at a time.
Play one round of 60 seconds and another at 90 seconds and tally the points at the end to determine the winner.
- 3-letter word: 1 pt
- 4-letter word: 2 pts
- 5-letter word: 3 pts
- 6-letter word: 4 pts & so on
Some word suggestions are:
- Burger King
- The Lego Movie
- Chuck Norris
- Boy Meets World
- United States
- Tie Breaker: Flappy Bird (30 seconds)
1. If you have the audience watching, make sure they groups are facing them and that the leaders are not blocking their view.
2. If you are unsure of the words that are being formed, write them down and Google them to verify.
3. Personalize it by adding your city’s name if it creates enough words.
4. Take tons of pictures and videos to share on social media! It’s always good to let people see your group having fun.