PREP TIME – 5-10 Minutes
ITEMS NEEDED – Headphones, Playlist of Upbeat Songs, Words to Guess
GAME TIME – 5-15 Minutes
PARTICIPANTS – Two Teams of Three
Before you begin, determine which one person will be the guesser for Turn It Up. The other two team members will serve as the clue givers. Give the person who will be guessing the headphones. Once they have them on turn up the volume on the song.
Note: Don’t blow out any eardrums, but make sure it’s loud enough. Though the game is relatively short, it is important that you not exceed 85 decibels. The game works just fine even if the volume is not cranked to the hilt.
The clue givers will then give clues to the guesser for the next 90 seconds. Make sure the clue givers are visible to the crowd so they can also guess. They are allowed to speak and act them out and can both be giving clues at the same time (they do not need to take turns). They are allowed to pass if they would like, but may have to come back to the word since their are a limited amount per round.
As a spectator, it is hilarious watching and listening to people yelling simple clues. The 90 seconds flies by
Some suggestions by category are (they can not say any form of these words in their clue giving):
- Lucky Charms
- Orange Juice
- Egg McMuffin
- Waffle Maker
- Drum Stick
- Electric Guitar
- Cassette Tape
Other category suggestions are: TV Shows, Movies, Sports, Household Items, Things You Would Find In A ______ (choose a place), Famous People,, Animal and thousands more! The goal is to have a decent mix of easy and medium level clues. Have fun with your clues, but don’t make them impossible.
Each successful guess results in a point. Whichever team has the most points at the end of the round wins!
In the event of a tie, have two words ready. Let the teams select one word each and see who can guess it fastest.
1. Play with larger teams. Have each team line up in a single-file line so everyone can give clues. This method would mean that only one person would be giving a clue at a time.
2. Play multiple rounds. Rotate guessers and then tally the points of each round together to determine a winner.
1. Have a countdown clock so people can track. It adds an element of drama to the game.
2. Take some videos and post them on social media. Use a creative hashtag that fits your group and let people enjoy the game with you.
3. Give away a sweet pair of headphones to the winner as a surprise!