The Super Bowl is just around the corner, and since 111 million people tuned in last year, we figured there might be a good chance that you were one of them. The great thing about the Super Bowl is that you don’t have to be a football fan in order to watch. You may be watching because you want to hang out with friends, watch some funny commercials, or you may be one of those crazed halftime viewers!
No matter how you slice it, the Super Bowl is a phenomenal draw, and that’s why we are making the Super Bowl our Friday Favorite. To be more specific, we are going to give you a few helpful tips to make your big party a hit before it officially starts. The following are some pre-game ideas to take your party to the next step.
This may be the most overlooked aspect of the party, but it shouldn’t be. You see, the pre-game is what sets the tone for the rest of the party. This is where food is king!
One of my favorite Super Bowl parties was at my church where I grew up. We brought a bunch of recliners and comfy chairs in to watch the game while a few ladies from our women’s ministry served food to the crowd. They had a menu with an “all you can eat” option for $10! Guess what I chose. I admit that I was in a bit of a nacho coma by the end of the night, but it was worth it!
If you are hosting a party at your house, make sure to have plenty of food and drinks. The worst thing is running out of food and having to make a trip to the store mid-way through. Over buy, and snack on the leftovers later on in the week.
Another important note to remember is that you will get your initial rush on food here, but be ready for the second wave during half-time. Not everyone loves watching old rockers or young hipsters entertain the crowd, so they make their way to the kitchen for round two.
Of course we are going to suggest some games for you, this is Student Ministry Games after all!
- We recently posted a game entitled, Who Dat?, which you can check out. For the Super Bowl party, you should use the Super Bowl QB or Sportscaster? game.
- A while back we also posted what we called the Twinkie Bowl. You won’t need to use the entirety of what is written in the post, but you could play a quick game or two of Twinkie Football to get you in the mood for the game.
- Create your own commercial for the Super Bowl. It might be an advertisement for your church or ministry, or maybe it’s just funny. Either way, you are sure to get some good laughs if you choose the right people.
If you are using games, make sure that they are secondary games that people don’t have to play. Some people may just want to chill, so be ready to change it up if you need to.
3. Create an Environment
When I think of a Super Bowl party, there are a few must haves:
- A huge TV is a must! I know we live in an iPad, iPod and iPhone world, but iWantAHugeTV or a giant screen if possible. Make sure to have the volume plenty high as well, especially during commercials.
- You’ll also need plenty of seating. I don’t want to have to stand the entire game. I want to be able to sit and relax while watching. BONUS TIP: Have a separate area for less engaged people to congregate. This allows the football fanatics to watch without as much interruption.
- I know this may not be a necessity in your mind, but if you are having a large party, I would strongly suggest getting some good décor to set the mood. The good news is that football is relatively easy to decorate for (don’t forget to incorporate it into your food as well!). You can hang jerseys or posters without much effort. You can also consider setting out helmets or even taping out a football field on the floor if it’s possible. If you want to take it to the next level, bring in some bleachers to give it a real stadium feel.
So there are 3 easy tips on how to enhance one of my favorite events of the year. We hope your Super Bowl is a success!
To get more great tips and games, subscribe to our blog and follow us on Twitter @stumingames.
Special thanks to Forest Hill Church in North Carolina for their work on the picture of “The Big Game”!