Today’s game is Higher or Lower, the Winner Take All Edition.
PREP TIME– 20 Minutes (shopping)
ITEMS NEEDED– 10 items varying in price (none more than $10)
GAME TIME– 10 Minutes
Before you play the game, head to the store and pick up 10 items that your participants will need to guess the price of. Make sure to save the receipt or write down the prices of the items you purchase. As a general rule, I spend no more than $20 total for the game.
Some suggested items are:
- Can of Pop (or soda, or Coke, or whatever you call it from where you are)
- Candy Bar
- Bag or box of Microwave Pop Corn
- Glow Sticks
- Package of Underwear
- Toothbrush or Toothpaste
- Bananas (or some sort of fun fruit)
- Ice Cream
- Jar of Pickles
While you will have them guess the full retail price (the normal price of the item not on sale), you can still shop sales to save money.
Once you have your items, place them on a table up front. Next, you will have each person write the word, “higher” on their right hand and the word “lower” on their left. Everyone will need to stand to start.
Bring out the first item. For instance a can of pop that is valued at $0.89. You will then throw out a number like $.50 (I make the first few easy). At that time, participants must raise their left or right hand to indicate whether they think the price is higher or lower (have them raise their hands high).
If they are correct, they remain standing. Those who incorrectly guess can continue to play, but they are out of the running to win the prizes and must take a sit.
Continue until you are down to one person. The tie-break rules are as follows:
- Most of the time, you will not have anyone who makes it through all ten consecutively, let alone two. In those cases, the people who make it furthest participate in a game of “who’s closest,” where they must guess the price of the next item. Whoever is closest wins. If there is another tie (both are off by $0.10), then the person who guessed under the price is the winner.
The winner takes home all the prizes from the game!
1. Have a few leaders watching to make sure no one is cheating. If someone doesn’t clearly indicate their guess, then I count the guess as incorrect.
2. Write everything down clearly so you can keep the game moving along. You can draw out the end, but keep the game moving to start.
3. Play some dramatic music as you get near the end. Think Price is Right to start and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire to end.
4. Take a picture of your winner with all the loot and post it on your FB or Instagram page.
Get more great games and tips by subscribing to our blog, liking us on Facebook & following us on Twitter @stumingames!
Leave a Comment