Will It Float? is one of our all-time favorite games! Throughout the summer, we have been sharing some of the best games from our early days, and David Letterman’s Will It Float? ranks among the best!
PREP TIME – 30 Minutes
ITEMS NEEDED – Clear Glass Tank with Water, Items to Float (or sink!)
GAME TIME – 10-15 Minutes
PARTICIPANTS – Everyone
David Letterman may have recently retired from The Late Show, but one of my favorite games from his show must live on! Before you begin, fill a fish tank or large clear bowl up with water. Make sure to elevate it so the audience can see.
Once you have your tank, the host will then place random items into tank. Before they do, they will ask the audience if they think it will float or sink. Give them a few seconds to decide and then place the item in the water. To qualify as floating, it must not sink in the first 7 seconds.
A list of suggested items are:
- Any Fruit (cantaloupe is a great one!)
- Old Cell Phone
- Slice of Meat
- Tub of Ice Cream
- Swiss Cheese
- Twinkie or Ding Dong
- Bag of Coffee
- Gallon of Milk
- Can of Crisco
- Bag of Flour
- Jar of Peanut Butter
- Firewood Log
- Laundry Detergent
- Can of Tuna
- Bowling Ball
- Football Helmet
- Duct Tape
- Candy Bar
- Whatever else you have laying around!
At the end of the items, see who guessed the most or just play for fun! This one is great big event game because everyone will start shouting what they think and people will talk to each other after each item to celebrate being right or try to understand how they were wrong. You can even throw out some of the items that float as you go along.
However you play, Will It Float? is an absolute blast! Thanks, Dave!!
1. Make signs that say “SINK” on one side & “FLOAT” on the other. Have the audience hold them up for each item you place in the water.
2. If you don’t have a tank, use a clear plastic bin. Make sure you can see through the bin once there is water in it.
4. This game is great, but if you want to take it to the next level, choose a great host (or two). Selling the items and playing off the crowd is what takes this game to the next level.
4. Award the winner(s) with some of the items that didn’t sink!
Get more great games and tips by subscribing to our blog, liking us on Facebook & following us on Twitter @stumingames!
Leave a Comment